Make Time NOW for your Health, or Later for Disease…Make Time NOW for your Health, or Later for Disease… https://www.thrivehealth.com.au/wp-content/uploads/bigstock-Mature-couple-smiling-7848750960.jpg 960 640 Janie Janie https://secure.gravatar.com/avatar/73d7b9a4bcaf7c63f4a42c753b4c008d?s=96&d=mm&r=g
Did you know that 1 in 2 men (and 1 in 3 women) will be diagnosed with cancer before their 85th birthday and that rate is growing? Did you know that over 60% of people are now overweight or obese and that figure is expected to grow to 80% by 2025? Nowadays everyone’s life is touched by someone with a chronic disease – and the odds are high that it might be you.
The cause of the massive rates of chronic disease is always being debated and we are always looking for the next “cure” but do you notice that even with all our amazing technologies that a cure is never found? That’s because the cause is the western lifestyle itself!
It’s the processed foods, the chemicals in our food, air, water and personal care products, our stressful lifestyles, and the side effects of the pharmaceuticals we take to relieve our symptoms. These are all things that our bodies are not adapted to and they can cause chronic stress that ultimately leads to chronic disease.
The natural state of our body is health and our body can heal itself, if we will only provide the environment for it to do so, and the western food, health system and lifestyle does NOT provide a healing environment.
Some of these things we can’t control such as the chemicals in our air, but there are plenty of things we CAN control to decrease our risk of chronic disease. Changing these things might seem too difficult or you think it will take too much time, but if you aren’t prepared to invest time and effort in making the change now, it is pretty much guaranteed that you will need to make the time when you or someone in your family gets sick. It is far easier to do it now than it will be then.
So what can you do?
- Opt out of processed food – this includes the so called “healthy” cereals, breads, juices and snacks which are full of things our bodies are not designed to eat. Instead, build your diet around whole, unprocessed foods, especially organic fruits and vegetables, and healthy fats from coconut oil, avocados, organic pastured meat, dairy and eggs, and raw nuts. This is the food our bodies have evolved to eat! Visit the Thrive Health recipe pages for meal plans and recipe ideas.
- Buy most of your foods from your local farmer’s market – for those in the Blue Mountains or Sydney’s West try Glenbrook Farmer’s Markets on the first Saturday of every month and Katoomba Grower’s Market on the last Sunday of every month.
- Cook most or all your meals at home using whole, organic ingredients
- Become an avid label reader. If you don’t know what it is then your body doesn’t! Do your best to avoid:
- vegetable oils and margarines
- wheat in all forms (including grain-fed meat)
- unprepared or refined grains and legumes
- chemicals, additives, flavours, colours, soy – not just in food but in your personal care products too
- pesticides, antibiotics, hormones
- refined sugar, added sugar, hidden sugar, artificial sweeteners – choose fruit and natural sweeteners like honey or dates instead
Unfortunately this rules out about 95% of food in the supermarket! But that is the problem – the food we are being sold is not actually food and it is making us sick. It is engineered to be addictive, not healthy.
So do you choose convenience or health?